We all get tons of emails and it has become an important part of our daily communications. Here are some tips to getting the most out of email communication.
- Respond to Emails. When you get an email relevant to your work, respond. It is disrespectful not to respond as soon as you finish reading the email. If you don’t have an answer at that moment, let the sender know that you will get back with them shortly. Not answering an email, leaves the sender waiting for an answer. And just may take their business elsewhere.
- Be Respectful. Be careful what you say in the email, as it may get taken the wrong way. There is no reason to belittle someone or use hurtful words in an email. Remember what you are saying is in writing and can be sent to anyone.
- Use the Subject Line. Check that the subject line is correct for the email you are sending. Makes it easier for the receiver of the email to comprehend right away what the message is pertaining to. Also will make it easier when searching for the email by subject at a later time.
- Don’t Write a Book. We get long winded at times, refrain from this. The person receiving the email may not have that much time to read your “book size” email. And that is where miscommunication will start. Get to the point and be as brief as possible.
- Use CAPS sparingly. When you use caps it comes across as yelling. SO DON’T USE CAPS, unless you really need that comment to STAND OUT!
- Signature. Create a professional signature at the bottom of your email. Containing your name, title, company, phone number, and website. Adding a company logo is a nice added feature also.
These few tips will help with better communication and effectiveness of our emails.